DEVELOP, IMPLEMENT AND EVALUATE A PROJECT PLAN
- COURSE CONTENT
This course is intended for managers in all economic sectors. These managers would typically be second level managers such as heads of department, section heads or divisional heads, who may have more than one team reporting to them. After attending this course the learner should be capable of selecting a work-based project for a unit, scoping a work-based project for a unit, developing a project plan, developing tools to measure key performance parameters and implementing the plan and evaluating project progress.
Unit 1: Select a work-based project for a unit
- Project alternatives are considered in relation to their viability in achieving unit objectives.
- The decision on the preferred alternative is motivated in terms of viability, cost and results.
Unit 2: Scope a work-based project for a unit
- The scope of work and deliverables are defined in relation to the unit objectives.
- The principal work activities are determined that will be required to achieve the unit objectives.
- The potential risks are identified and analysed in relation to the likelihood of risks materialising.
- Change processes that are essential to project success are described in terms of their contribution to the project results.
Unit 3: Develop a project plan
- The overall objectives of the plan are described with reference to the achievement of unit objectives.
- The sponsor, project team and other stakeholders are described with their contributions to the project.
- A work breakdown structure (WBS) is developed to describe the main activities of the project and the interrelationship between them.
- The project activities, required performance levels and quality criteria are stipulated and communicated to team members and other stakeholders to promote quality and effectiveness.
- The project plan is checked for accuracy, completeness and compliance to internal and external requirements.
Unit 4: Develop tools to measure key performance parameters
- A Gantt chart is developed for managing and evaluating the time dimension.
- A budget is developed for managing and evaluating the cost dimension.
- Quality parameters are developed for managing and evaluating quality.
- The measurement tools are communicated to team members to promote a common understanding of requirements.
Unit 5: Implement the plan and evaluate project progress
- Project implementation is monitored and evaluated against the plan, the stipulated performance criteria and quality requirements.
- Project results are monitored to establish progress and effectiveness.
- Deviations from the project plan are identified and analysed in order to take corrective action.
- Corrective actions are implemented to ensure the achievement of project objectives.
- Results are evaluated against the scope and objectives of the project.
Duration: 5 Day
Develop, implement and evaluate a project plan
SAQA ID: 252022
NQF Level: 5