OPERATE & MAINTAIN IRRIGATION SYSTEMS
A learner achieving this Unit Standard will be able to, under supervision, efficiently irrigate a variety of crops, using a specific type of irrigation system. He will also be able to carry out relevant basic operational and maintenance procedures.
Learners will gain specific knowledge and skills in irrigation and will be able to operate in a plant production environment implementing sustainable and economically viable production principles.
They will be capacitated to gain access to the mainstream agricultural sector, in plant production, impacting directly on the sustainability of the sub-sector. The improvement in production technology will also have a direct impact on the improvement of agricultural productivity of the sector.
- Unit 1: Perform pre-start up inspection applicable to the relevant irrigation system.
- The ability to identify whether there is sufficient water available is demonstrated.
- The ability to check oil levels and grease pumps is demonstrated.
- The ability to identify and clean in-line filters and pumps, frog catchers, etc. is demonstrated.
- In-line filters, pumps and valves are checked to ensure they are in good working condition.
- The ability to identify and report defects in pre-start up inspection is demonstrated.
- Pumps are fully primed.
- Unit 2:Perform start-up and shut down procedures applicable to specific irrigation systems.
- Pump is started/shut down in stages according to prescribed procedure.
- Ability to indicate the correct motor/pump working characteristics is demonstrated.
- Pressure control valves opened/closed according to prescribed norms.
- In-field valves opened/closed and flow rate set according to schedule.
- In-field pressure measured and corrected if required
- Pressure of in-line filters checked and remedial action [cleaning of filter] taken.
- Unit 3:Irrigate crop according to given guidelines
- Quality checks of relevant irrigation systems are performed and corrective actions are taken according to standard operating procedures.
- Irrigation cycle for designated area/block is started and completed on time, as prescribed for the specific crop.
- Regular monitoring of operational parameters is carried out.
- Input devices.
- Unit 4:Care and maintenance of equipment and tools used during irrigation.
- Filters are flushed/cleaned as per operating instructions.
- Tools are cleaned, maintained and stored according to standard operating procedures.
- Defective tools and/or equipment, problems and unusual events are reported to the supervisor.
Duration: 1 Day
National Certificate in Operate & Maintain Irrigation Systems
SAQA ID: 116066
NQF Level: 2