OPERATE ADVANCED DEFINED PURPOSE LIFT TRUCKS
- COURSE CONTENT
The person credited with this unit standard is able to operate a battery-operated defined purpose lift truck. They are able to access emergency support and services in the case of an emergency while operating a lift truck. The person is also able to identify and classify the load, handle and move the freight while operating the lifting equipment in accordance with standards and its performance capabilities. They are also able to monitor the fitness of the lift truck
Unit 1:Access available emergency support systems and services in case of incidents and accidents.
- A range of support that may be accessed are identified according to emergency support systems.
- The most appropriate course of action is identified in relation to potential hazards in the working environment.
- The evacuation process is explained according to the organisational evacuation procedure.
- Emergency escape procedures (via abseil) are demonstrated in accordance with safety standards and procedures.
Unit 2: Identify and classify freight/loads.
- A minimum of five different categories of freight/loads are identified and explained with examples.
- Common freight codes, from a handling perspective, are classified together and described with examples.
Unit 3:Handle, load and store freight.
- Specific handling methods and attachments are identified and their uses according to particular commodities/freight are described.
- The reasons for selecting a particular piece of lifting equipment are explained according to a particular type of freight.
- The specific selection of storage facilities for different freight types are explained according to organisational storage procedures.
Unit 4:Achieve maximum work performance of battery powered lifting equipment and attachments.
- The operating functions of the particular lift truck relevant for the job environment, and different environmental conditions and freight types are identified and explained with examples.
- Work performance of the equipment is evaluated against operating guidelines.
- Mechanical appreciation of the lifting equipment and attachments is described with examples.
- Lifting equipment is operated in accordance with manufacturers guidelines.
Unit 5:Operate equipment.
- The operating functions of the particular lift truck relevant for the work environment, and different environmental conditions and freight types are explained according to organisational operating functions.
- The effect of the environment and equipment constraints are identified according to safe operating procedures and practices.
- Corrective actions required to prevent dangerous situations arising are explained and implemented according to organisational policies and procedures.
- Operational fitness of battery operated lift truck is evaluated in accordance with lift truck service specifications.
Duration: 1 Day
National Certificate in Forklift (FL)Advance
SAQA ID: 242972
NQF Level: 3