INTERPRET AND USE INFORMATION FROM TEXTS
Learners at this level read and view a range of texts. People on this program are able to read and view a variety of text types with understanding and to justify their views and responses by reference to detailed evidence from texts. They are also able to evaluate the effectiveness of different texts for different audiences and purposes by using a set of criteria for analysis.
Unit 1: Use a range of reading and/or viewing strategies to understand the literal meaning of specific texts
- Unfamiliar words/signs are identified. Their meanings are correctly determined by using knowledge of syntax, word-attack skills/sign parameter/analysis skills, and contextual clues.
- Different options for the meanings of ambiguous words are tested, and selected meanings are correct concerning the context.
- Main ideas are separated from supporting evidence and paraphrased or summarised.
- The purpose of visual and/or graphic representations in texts are recognised and explained.
- Features of visual texts are explained concerning the way they impact meaning.
Unit 2: Use strategies for extracting implicit messages in texts
- Source of text is identified and discussed in terms of reliability and possible bias.
- Attitudes, beliefs and intentions are explored to determine the point of view expressed either directly or indirectly.
- Techniques are explored and explained in terms of purpose and audience.
- Promotion of, or support for, a particular line of thought/cause is identified and explained concerning selection or omission of materials.
Unit 3: Respond to selected texts in a manner appropriate to the context
- Instructions and requests are acted upon.
- Text-type, format and register used are on the appropriate level of formality.
Unit 4: Explore and explain how language structures and features may influence a reader/viewer
- The choice of words/signs, language usage, symbols, pictures and tone/sign size and pace is described in terms of how a point of view is shaped or supported.
- Duration: 5 Days
- Delivery: Classroom/Online
5 Day Courses: Participants will receive a SpecCon Holdings certificate upon completion of all courses.